Saturday, October 10, 2009

Most Effective Ways to Keep Us Healthy and Live Long

By: Maged Taman

I am not the best to advice in health, however, I am a physician and I make my living doing that. I exercise and watch my diet though not enough, but I look after myself and my patients to be healthy and live longer, as much as we can.
Here are some of the best ways to do so, not arranged accodring to statistics:

1- Quit smoking.
2- Healthy diet and weight control.
3- Exercise.
4- Avoid stress.
5- Sleep enough.
5- Drive safely.
6- Do not drive if feels drugged second to a medication or having sleep deprivation.
7- Treat high blood pressure.
8- Treat high cholesterol.
9- Treat diabetes.
10- Seek help for breast lumps and have regular mammography.
11- Colonscopy.
12- PSA and digital rectal examination for screening.
13- Safe vaccine when indicated.
14- Safety measures related to fires and natural disasters.
15- Have safe sex.
16- take aspirin when having underlying risks to heart attacks and strokes.
17- When have medical condition or sickness work with your physician to find the right diagnosis and so the right therapy.
18- Watch your skin and report new findings to dermatology. Skin tumors like melanoma are curable if treated early.
19- Check eyes regularly after 40 years old glaucoma and macular degeneration can cause slow loss of vision.
20- Good care of gums and teeth.
21- get enough fibres from vegetables, fruits and metamucil powder if necessary.
22- Have faith in God and know he works through doctors and treatments.

No one can guarantee long life, however God gave us the mind and the tools to live well and enjoy life. The increase longevity in our age is mainly due to treating the common diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.